The Friends of Wanstead Parklands are leading a walk around Wanstead Park on Sunday 22 October.
This, the last in this year’s series of five walks, is part of the Epping Forest Walking Festival. The route will take participants on a leisurely stroll around the western side of the park, comprising Bush Wood and Wanstead Flats.
Starting at 11am outside the Quaker Meeting House on Bush Road, the walk will probably take two hours, and will point out vestiges of seventeenth and eighteenth century landscaping and the site of a Roman road. We may also spot some interesting fungi!
The official walk will end at a bus stop on Blake Hall Road, but the more energetic will be invited to continue through the park to The Temple. Now housing a visitor centre and gift shop, the Temple is open every weekend. It was originally built around 1760 by John, 2nd Earl Tylney of Castlemaine.
The walks are free, but donations to the group are welcome. As paths may be muddy, suitable footwear is advised.