Category: History

  • Video: Wanstead House book launch

    Following the successful launch of Hannah Armstrong’s book, Wanstead House: East London’s Lost Palace, Wanstead Books have just released a short video of the event. The Friends still have a handful of copies of the book available at the discounted price of £35.00. These can be purchased from the monthly Litter pick stall at the […]

  • Wanstead Park Free Talks begin in January

    Wanstead Park Free Talks begin in January

    Friends committee member Richard Arnopp will be starting a series of free monthly online talks in January under the title “Wanstead Park in Context”. Some of you may remember that Richard ran a popular two-year series of articles on the owners of Wanstead Park which were published by our friends at the Wanstead Village Directory. […]

  • 40% discount on a new book on Wanstead Park

    40% discount on a new book on Wanstead Park

    40% discount available for pre-order Many Friends of Wanstead Parklands will be aware by now that, for the past three and a half years, Dr Hannah Armstrong has been writing what will surely become the definitive book on the history of Wanstead House. Due to be published by Liverpool University Press on behalf of Historic […]

  • The Architecture of Wanstead House

    The Architecture of Wanstead House

    In 2018 Ray Weekes completed a degree in Art History at Birkbeck. As his primary interest is architecture and as he lives in Wanstead, he wrote his dissertation on the architecture of Wanstead House. This was well received and won a prize. We are delighted that, to make his findings available to a wider audience, […]

  • The visit of Count Ferenc Széchényi to Wanstead Park

    Count Ferenc Széchényi of Sárvár-Felsővidék (1754 –1820) is a well-known figure in Hungary. As well as being founder of the Hungarian National Library and National Museum, he was father of the reformer and nationalist hero Count István Széchenyi, often called “the Greatest Hungarian”.

  • Exhibition: The Temple Over Time

    Epping Forest’s Steve Denford has curated an exhibition which is on display at The Temple until 27 September. The Temple over Time explores the building’s different uses since it was built around 1760 by John, 2nd Earl Tylney of Castlemaine. Epping Forest has kindly agreed to the Friends posting the content of the exhibition online.

  • The Ornamental Water

  • The Straight Canal

  • The Square Pond

  • The Perch Pond